Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Death of Legend (or How I Learned to be Bodhi Nobody)

Did you know I used to be a legend? It's true. There was a time not so long ago when my exploits and adventures were spoken about in hushed reverence. There was the donnybrook at the hospital, the gunplay, and especially the one about the well oiled trick and the locked door (the best one, just so you know). In my circles, many stories were told of my escapades. Oh yes, I was a legend. The mission was accomplished, the duty was done. 

Then a strange thing happened. I became invisible. "He who is nobody". A ghost, a has been, a non issue. I see faces I've never seen, hear names I've never known, get looks of utter confusion inside the warm confines of my own circle. Those with whom I shared blood, sweat, and tears now look right past me. How can this even be? Do memories fade so quickly? Is glory not forever?

These answers I do not know. I just ponder them, a nameless face in a nameless crowd. One of many fallen leaves, gently pushed down the river to the ocean of anonymity. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment